back to article Collabnet does Subversion for Mac

It would not be too surprising if fans of Apple's Macintosh felt that, outside of those market sectors where the machine is the platform of choice, they are second class citizens. Mac implementations of PC software often appear many months after the PC versions, if at all, and in the world of developer tools things are little …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Ossareh

Good old commandline

Considering OS X is a unix machine I do not see why these products are needed. The commandline client for SVN is more than adequate.

Lets me honest, if you dont know how to use the commandline you shouldn't be developing software :)

Mike

2. Mike

Commandline and developers

...if you dont know how to use the commandline you shouldn't be developing software...

Well, _I_ shouldn't, because most of what I do is "close to the metal" and usually "mission critical". OTOH, there are a huge number of people out there doing what they and their buds call programming, who can barely elucidate what a bit is, and typically get "byte" wrong, and if they are to properly develop the 27th cutting-edge photo-sharing client, they should not be saddled with a command-line.

In all seriousness, I suspect many folks seduced by the "power" of command line tools are falling for the same macho "tools make the man" BS that saw hordes of idiots swarming comp.lang.c (before they decamped for comp.lang.c++, I never got around to thanking B.S.):

"Wizards use this arcane language, so if I use it, (however poorly) I am a Wizard".

Cue the walking brooms and the cellar full of water.

3. Jack Repenning

GUIs - not just for your grandma any more!

I've been working in Unix for over 20 years. I speak shell and Emacs as my native language ;-) I use the command line commands for exactly the same reason I use GUI apps, Finder plug-ins, or any other tool: because it's the tool I want at the interface I'm using at the moment I find I need it.

There are some things that can't reasonably be done with a GUI; there are some that can't be done well at a command line. There are a few more that can be done either way, but are inherently better one way or the other. There are a few more that could maybe be done better "the other way," but no one's got around to writing that yet. Anyone who calls themselves "a developer" should be plenty smart enough to use the best, or anyway handiest, tool for the job at any given moment. If you're not solid in GUI, command-line, regular expressions, scripting, and keyboard macros ... are you sure you're a developer?

And *don't* get me started on "I only know language X"!

This topic is closed for new posts.