Feeds

back to article US Stingray style sub motherships test missiles

The US Navy's Stingray-esque SSGN underwater special-forces motherships have seen good news and bad news in recent days. SSGN missile SSGN launching missiles SSGNs* are heavily modified Ohio class ballistic-missile boats, retired from their old duties under the terms of nuclear-weapons limitation treaties. The nuclear- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

shorter frogmen?

n addition to this huge bombardment arsenal, the SSGNs have accomodation for 66 special-forces frogmen, or as many as 102 for shorter periods.........

how many midget frogmen can they contain for shorter periods?

SSGN

From Wikipedia;

SSGN is the United States Navy hull classification symbol for a nuclear-powered cruise missile submarine. The SS denotes a "submersible ship", the G denotes "guided missile," and the N denotes "nuclear powered." The first SSGN in the U.S. Navy was USS Halibut (SSGN-587).

Anonymous Coward

Halibut

USS Halibut! Haha! Sad I know....

My actual point was, WTF dose this have to do with IT? Its not even funny or odd.

Silver badge

Persian Gulf

From memory the Persian Gulf is remarkably shallow and has very clear waters. Can a submarine hide from aircraft in such an area?

IT?

WTF does it have to do with IT? Maybe they have Windows for Warships.

Dan

The IT angle

They have computers on the ship. And in the missiles. And I bet lots of the people on the ship own PCs as well or have family that do.

Anonymous Coward

IT?

Perhaps with such cost over runs, late delivery and descoped and defactive functionality it is another grand project brought to you by EDS?

Silver badge

IT justification

Surely this comes under the heading 'toys for the boys' - or at least it would if it worked properly

This topic is closed for new posts.