back to article Sharp Aquos LC37XD1E 37in HD TV

There's HD and then there's full HD. While both will give you better pictures than normal TV, the latter offers a degree of future proofing by enabling you to take advantage of 1080p, the highest HD resolution currently in use. With both Blu-ray and HD DVD supporting it, you'll need a Full HD TV such as Sharp's LC37XD1E to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

1080p

It's good to see REAL HD TV's coming onto the market now.

The whole "HD Ready" thing has been a big con to get the unsuspecting Joe Public to go out and spend shed-loads of cash on a new telly in the belief that it was "HD", when of course it is not (ok - it's "higher" def, but it's definitely not "high" def.). This was to give the manufacturers a break (and some income!) while they came up with cheap enough ways of making real HD tellies. This con has been aided and abetted by the HiFi/Video press who have without exception failed to point out that "HD Ready" is not "HD" and that you're going to be very disappointed in a year or so when HD content (HD DVDs etc) become available.

I feel very sorry for these punters and wonder how long it will be before they realise they have been conned - probably when they go out and spend even more cash on a HD DVD player and find that the picture isn't quite as good as it should be?

What's the point...

... of a telly that you can't watch Freeview or SKY on because of artifacts? The number of people who exclusively watch DVDs on their telly must be pretty limited, let alone just HD/BR discs. It's like having a stereo system that you can only listen to SACD discs on.

When is the TV industry going to realize ...

... that I want to listen to my television on my A/V receiver, and not some $10 stereo speakers on the TV? One would think that someone like Sony (who's receiver we have) would figure that out.

Anonymous Coward

so....its still Samsung territory then

Reg hardware reviews really should have a small 'better than' or 'same as' boxout - or even a mini league for kit thats on the same page as the conclusion. but from this review, it looks like the only real 37" FullHD player is the Samsung LE37M87 (part of the new 'tulip' range)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

High def/standard + artefacts

Fair enough, you can complain about the different versions of "high def" TVs(720/1080 - not including the progressive/interlaced varieties!) but it was inevitable when they created two resolutions. I understand the rationale behind it too - some production companies won't want to added expense of upgrading their kit to accommodate that. So 720 is a reasonable happy-medium - similar to bandwidth restrictions on broadcasting.

As for the artefacts, they were already there! I've been seeing artefacts from the digital era since before I had an HD box - they were just harder to spot. It's very similar to the way in which DAB radio promised us better quality than analogue but failed dramatically, DTV is exactly the same. From what I recall, it's a very compressed MPEG2 stream - the broadcasting companies chose quantity of quality. Next time you see an artefact, blame one of the "quiz" channels for wasting part of the spectrum (and oxygen!). Bring back analogue, all is forgiven.

This is proper 1080p

I have this TV and can confirm that it is a real Full HD set - I spent a long time waiting for these to appear in smaller screen sizes. The manual specifies assorted limitations that appear to be fictional, and just trying them out should confirm that 1920x1080 is fully available.

Standard-def Sky still looks great on this TV. I think the reviewer is just saying it looks second rate after you've been watching 1080p sources. I've got a PC hooked up with HDMI, and a PS3 through the other HDMI, both of which look fantastic. The Sky-box through SCART looks poor by comparison, but still looks a lot better than on my old TV.

Looking Great...

My parents bought one of these a few months ago and I can confirm that it is indeed a beautiful set not only to look at but to watch both tv/sky/freeview and dvd's on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums