Online auction house eBay has confirmed it has bought StumbleUpon, the website which offers user-created reviews and recommendations of other websites. eBay is paying about $75m for the site which claims 2.3 million regular users. The push behind the deal seems to be that Web 2.0 doozy "community". Michael Buhr, senior …
So SU will now be poisoned with eBay ads
What this means is that SU users, who up until now have enjoyed being able to get high-quality peer-reviewed sites, will now be bombarded with eBay ads. I have the SU plugin on Firefox and I use it heaps; I've found many interesting sites with it. Now I have AdBlock Plus installed as well, so this might not affect me.
But the minute I cop an eBay ad while Stumbling is the minute I uninstall it from my browser and close my SU account for good.
Bugger.... I hate ebay.... and paypal... and skype!! Basically anything they touch becomes a target for hackers and adware crap......
"But the minute I cop an eBay ad while Stumbling is the minute I uninstall it from my browser and close my SU account for good."
.... I agree, but it's a shame because this and Foxmarks are the only 2 tools I install on ALL my machines, can't live without really!!
I can see a pattern here...
Mutter. First Last.FM, now StumbleUpon.
It's obviously buying season....
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars