back to article Interoute sells virtual servers

European telco and managed services provider Interoute has launched a hosted virtual server service - but unlike smaller hosting companies which use the likes of Virtuozzo to generate virtual webservers, it's using a full VMware ESX set-up. It allows customers to have a virtual machine (VM) of their own, complete with its own …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF

"However, he claimed that the real benefit of the virtual approach is not cost, but reliability and provisioning speed - customers will even be able to buy VMs online."

I've been buying hardware servers online for the last 8 years. You pay your money, you get sent a link to the admin login. How is this revolutionary ? And you get a performance hit - wow, sign me up.

10 customers can't be wrong !

If they were providing regular snapshots of each VM as part of the package, and giving you the option to restore to a particular machine state, then that may be useful, but I would still prefer a server to be running natively. Also, unless you have the VM backed up to a different machine, then it's no backup at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like