back to article Brinkster.com battens down the hatches

Web host Brinkster.com is requiring customers to change their account passwords because some of them may have been compromised, according to people who say they've received security bulletins. If confirmed, the breach is the latest example of sensitive information being lost en masse as a result of security lapses by a large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes

Perhaps the employee is too busy

"Officials at Brinkster, which claims to be a top hosting provider in the US that serves customers in 175 countries, didn't respond to requests for comment."

A top hosting provider with only a /20 IP address allocation? That's a bit like being a world military power with a troop of boy scouts and a canoe.

And how is it that their registration shows them to be in Norfolk, Va, but their ARIN contact phone number is in Arizona?

I smell a rat.

2. Dillon Pyron

Nonsense

Look up freescale.com. Are they in Austin or Phoenix? There are plenty more examples of that.

3. Ed

Back in the old days...

when Brinkster offered a fairly good _free_ package, I used to have an account with them. They were pretty useless then, and actually deleted my whole account without warning and ignored any emails I sent to them. I wouldn't be suprised if it was just one person...

Anyway, I then learnt that you get what you pay for, by moving elsewhere :)

4. Grant

Why do they even have my password in plain text

All the passwords should have been stored encrypted to start with.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legitimate

FYI - Brinkster has offices in Phoenix and Virginia Beach. It is a totally legitimate company with many employees in both locations - it is most definitely not a one-person operation. (I live very close to the Brinkster offices in Virginia.)

This topic is closed for new posts.