Add IBM to the growing list of ostensibly tech-savvy organizations that has been bitten by its failure to encrypt sensitive information. A company spokesman has confirmed that computer tapes containing personal information on former employees has gone missing. An outside vendor was transporting them from one IBM facility to …
Missing IBM Data
Have they tried EBay?
Sales Campaign ?
Could be a plot to persuade gullable hackers to invest $20,000
for tape drives, controllers neccesary to read the tapes.
This happened to me, and our employer (who didn't lose the data, but their payroll contractor did, who forgot to read the security bit of the contract allegedly) and we got free accounts on a credit watch service. With the amount of data going missing me thinks there's money in credit checking!
I was at an IBM presentation just this morning where IBM was naming names of companies that failed to encrypt tape data and were burned when they were lost/stolen.
Makes my day...
Who was the other party to the car accident, and are they under investigation?
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Analysis BlackBerry's turnaround relies on a secret weapon: Its own network
- Hire and hold IT staff in 2015: The Reg's how-to guide