back to article Info chief voices doubts over surveillance tech

Information Commissioner Richard Thomas yesterday told members of the Home Affairs Select Committee on the Surveillance Society that a proliferation of surveillance technologies were being turned on society in the hope of curing its ills - even though the jury was still out on whether it was effective. This stance followed the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

At last - sanity!

In an interview on Radio 4 this morning, someone - I think it was the Info guy but I'm not certain - pointed out that people are far more careful of their own privacy than that of others.

This seems to have been the first time that I've come across this obvious thought actually articulated... it's all right for *them* to be watched, but not me.

Frankly, whenever someone tries to persuade me of the benefits of such surveillance and the associated lack of privacy - usually with the tag line of 'if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear' then I try and reply by asking them a question or two: "How much do you earn? When did you last have sex? With whom?"

It's none of the governments damn business... and it applies not just to surveillance cameras but also ID cards, road pricing/tracking etc. Defend your privacy while you still can.

I'll just go and get a protest permit.

Neil

Anonymous Coward

deja vu

If I were to bore you telling you about what happened to myself you probably would'nt believe it Have a look at www.unprofessionals.co.uk and ask yourself "why don't they close his site down" . Well there are 2 reasons, one is that it is all true and other is that its hosted in India. As for the information commissioner, he is a bad joke who even if he had powers would probably not bother using them.

Anonymous Coward

What are the odds of a DNA match with someone else.

The answer to the question is "it depends". It depends upon the way the DNA samples are analyzed to determine relatedness.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar97/858111276.Ge.r.html

What about my evil twin that the state removed from my mother at birth and trained ti be a ninja? I am redorded as the only child born from my mother on that day, but who knows, she was knocked out and my dad was getting a hair cut.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums