back to article Defence firm loses domain case against cannabis site

Defence company Lockheed Martin Corporation has lost its attempt to gain control of a web address currently hosting a site devoted to cannabis paraphernalia. The ruling (pdf) on the .co.uk domain was an appeal from an earlier ruling. The case was heard by one panelist under the dispute resolution process of Nominet, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK skunk works really well...

... unless it's covered in sand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skunk weed

In the article - Defence firm loses domain case against cannabis site , you say that "Skunk is a slang term for a particularly strong strain of cannabis". In the US, "Skunk" is used to refer to low quality, wild growing cannabis in the northeast. In Amsterdam, I had the opportunity to sample some "Super Skunk", and really didn't find it to be much more potent than northern lights. On the other hand, some of the commercial cannabis on the west coast of the US (The Chronic and northern lights derivatives from BC) are potent to the point of being absolutely ridiculous! Regulating the dosage so as not to become catatonic takes practice. So on a scale of 1 to 10...

1: Being - Damn, I'm really frickin stoned

5: Being - What's your favorite color? Mine's "pony"

10: Being - Derrrrrrr.......

I'd rate EU "Skunk" as being a 3. Not particularly potent by today's standards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Court...???

Well, the law firm mentioned is no doubt a learned and revered body, but Mr Mackenzie (Scottish origins?) should explain himself better...

Said Mackenzie: "The court they went to would depend on the normal rules of jurisdiction, so it could be a US court or a UK court."

So that's a total of three jurisdictions, then: a US Court, a Scottish Court, or a Court in England or Wales, then...?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

skunk works is a generic term

As a Brit with some knowledge of US technical jargon, I understood skunk works to be a generic term, like 'think tank'. I dare say I could dig out magazine articles from 20-odd years ago to show this if I could be arsed.

I think LMC are being daft, even petty. Bloody silly litigous Americans!

Think tank - did Birmingham City Council take Blur to court over the use of the name 'think tank' - I doubt it...

5. Liam

ha!

"It has not been shown by the complainant that the activities of the complainant are illegal or that the respondent has been prosecuted for illegal activities," it said. "Naturally, the panel can sympathise with LMC's desire to avoid association with activities that people may object to, even if the activities are within the law."

yes, smoking weed is far worse than building weapons designed to kill.

im sure the cannabis shop is equally dismayed at being potentially linked to such an unethical company as lockheed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nice

I liked the mention that

There may be some comfort for LMC in the fact that many people have as little wish to be associated with military aircraft as have LMC to be associated with illegal drug use

as it so exemplifies the american religious bigotry that holds it acceptable to spend ones whole life designing and manufacturing weapons, yet is apalled at the idea of consuming herbs, if they happen to be illegal drugs.

- not that that is what ukskunkworks offers, or even condones. I might pay a visit and get some souvenir seeds, amazing for the variety of patterning etc.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought the US owned the UK ?.

Hmm, seems the USA does'nt own us after all !. It amazes me how the US thinks it "owns" all of us and pleased to see they lost. I see that Lockheed registered UKSkunkWorks.com on 4th April so maybe they can be taken to WIPO themselves now ?.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just thought I'd get my say in...

Skunk Works has always referred to Lockheed Martin's almost-secret research division in the same way that Frisbee has always referred to the flying disc from Wham-O. Yeah, it's a generic term, but, it has always technically referred to Lockheed Martin when strictly used.

Also, saying that smoking cannibus is better than "designing weapons for murder" is just plain naive and far too optimistic to be realistic. There are people out there that want to kill you, whether you're stoned or not. They won't generally bother trying if you've got big guns and you aren't afraid of defending yourself, though.

Don't hate the people who make weapons, hate the people who force them to make them.

9. Demian Phillips

The trick is

to get the people who want to kill you stoned out of their gourds, they will then be less inclined to kill you, and more likely to laugh at your jokes. Come prepared with some decent snacks and drink and they might think you’re not so bad anymore.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "Just thought I'd get my say in...

"Skunk Works has always referred to Lockheed Martin's almost-secret research division in the same way that Frisbee has always referred to the flying disc from Wham-O. Yeah, it's a generic term, but, it has always technically referred to Lockheed Martin when strictly used."

Interesting. As a US citizen with a fair amount of interest in history, politics, and "day to day " news, I've never seen that term and LM used together. So it is an obscure reference, then - and one that a company in the UK probably wouldn't think to even relate.

I know it is hard for the US to sometimes realize that when the Sun goes down in California it doesn't immediately skip over everyone else to rise in Maine.

"Also, saying that smoking cannibus (sic) is better than "designing weapons for murder" is just plain naive and far too optimistic to be realistic. There are people out there that want to kill you, whether you're stoned or not. They won't generally bother trying if you've got big guns and you aren't afraid of defending yourself, though.

Don't hate the people who make weapons, hate the people who force them to make them."

Work for the Military Industrial Complex, do we?

If the MIC didn't continue to make ever bigger and more powerful things that go "boom!" - and we didn't show a willingness (eagerness?) to go around using them all the time - perhaps less people who feel a need to 'kill us' - but I guess I'm just being naive, too.

11. Dave

Lock-who?

I've known the term "skunk works" for some time, but never associated it with a particular company. As I'm in the UK and am probably one up on many who have never even heard the term before, I'd say the Nominet decision is correct, because if we've never associated it with LM, they're not losing out by having it associated with a dodgy weed company. In fact, they've probably done themselves a dis-service because through their own actions, they are now associated with it all whereas before I would never have made that connection.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "Just thought I'd get my say in...

"Don't hate the people who make weapons, hate the people who force them to make them."

Forced? So these poor guys are chained to the desk at gun point (a gun no doubt designed and made under duress by one of their forebears) and having someone shout at them "Make me something to kill lots of people with!"

I graduated from university with an engineering degree at a time when about the only relevant industry sector hiring was defence. I chose to do something totally unrelated to my degree instead of go down that route.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: "Just thought I'd get my say in...

"Interesting. As a US citizen with a fair amount of interest in history, politics, and "day to day " news, I've never seen that term and LM used together. So it is an obscure reference, then - and one that a company in the UK probably wouldn't think to even relate."

Super. I'm a US citizen, too.

"I know it is hard for the US to sometimes realize that when the Sun goes down in California it doesn't immediately skip over everyone else to rise in Maine."

I made no mention that I expect people outside of the US to catch who Skunkworks is. But, I would expect people setting up a website to check that the domain name isn't being used, first. If they made it "UKFrisbee.com" Wham-O would have won, even though they had nothing to do with with the production of flying discs. The fact is, is that Skunkworks has a vested interest in the UK already. They have offices there. "Skunkworks" is their registered trademark. Wham-O has already established that both here in America and in Europe they can fight and WIN for the ownership of the term "frisbee". Ever wonder why every single knock off is called a "flying disc"?

Now I guess we get to get into some good old fashioned mud slinging that, for the record, I did not initiate.

"Work for the Military Industrial Complex, do we?

If the MIC didn't continue to make ever bigger and more powerful things that go "boom!" - and we didn't show a willingness (eagerness?) to go around using them all the time - perhaps less people who feel a need to 'kill us' - but I guess I'm just being naive, too."

If those statements about who I am are any sign of your marvelous skills of deduction, well... I'm amazed.

You are stating that if I disagree with you with regards to protecting ourselves, clearly I must be a pawn of the "great big machine out to get us". I am aghast that you found me out. I should escape in my black helicopter before you next realize that I am just outside of your home trying to steal your thoughts in vein; for you are wearing a tin foil hat.

See, I can say silly things, too. Here's another: the conspiracy theorists are conspiring to stupify the world. I sure hope that you're proud of yourself in following the herd, you rebel, you.

And to the other guy...

"Forced? So these poor guys are chained to the desk at gun point (a gun no doubt designed and made under duress by one of their forebears) and having someone shout at them "Make me something to kill lots of people with!""

Yep, you caught exactly what I was saying right there. I'm glad that there are so many brain giants in the room.

"I graduated from university with an engineering degree at a time when about the only relevant industry sector hiring was defence. I chose to do something totally unrelated to my degree instead of go down that route."

Neato.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US Citizen or Iranian Sympathizer?

Neato...hahaha, funny response. As for the statement:

"Also, saying that smoking cannibus is better than "designing weapons for murder" is just plain naive and far too optimistic to be realistic. There are people out there that want to kill you, whether you're stoned or not. They won't generally bother trying if you've got big guns and you aren't afraid of defending yourself, though.

Don't hate the people who make weapons, hate the people who force them to make them."

Well, cannabis references excepted, that's precisely the argument made by comrades of the Ayatollah Khamenei for Iran to develop nuclear weapons. It may be advisable, in the current climate, for you to keep the ideas you share with the Supreme Leader of Iran to yourself, freedom of speech notwithstanding.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now we know the "dope" on Lockheed!

For years I've wondered how the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works supplemented their "Black Projects" operating budget without having to beg congress for more money.

The GAO Office of Management & Budget has been wondering why they purchase so many Ziploc snack bags; no doubt used for storage of small parts, etc.

16. John Dawson

remember li'l abner guys?

I thought I wasn't having a senior moment, though sadly they do get commoner these days. Way back in the 50s my auntie from Canada used to send me the Sudbury Star comic section, wherein there was a strip called Li'l Abner, featuring life in the hillbilly town of Dogpatch and including a guy who ran the Skunk Works, err... skinning skunks.

A little googling throws up the story, as featured in El Reg in 1999, called What the Hell is a Skunk Work? See http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/10/27/what_the_hell/

Shouldn't Lockheed be suing the estate of the (presumably) late Al Capp, author of the comic strip from which they stole the name? Or should the estate be suing Lockheed? Answers on a postcard please.

All the best,

John Dawson

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My say on: US Citizen or Iranian Sympathizer?

"Well, cannabis references excepted, that's precisely the argument made by comrades of the Ayatollah Khamenei for Iran to develop nuclear weapons. It may be advisable, in the current climate, for you to keep the ideas you share with the Supreme Leader of Iran to yourself, freedom of speech notwithstanding."

Especially when his comrades explicitly state that they want to drive Israel, an internationally accepted state body by the United Nations, into the Mediterranean sea while holding Holocaust denial conferences, right? Further, was that intended that some kind of veiled threat?

Which brings me to something else completely different. Why is it that those disagreeing with me insist on personally attacking me? I have made no unprovoked statements so far, so why seek to belittle, and apparently threaten me? If the opinion that I write hurts you so, I suggest that you stop reading, plug your ears with your fingers and loudly proclaim "Lah lah lah lah!" with your eyes closed, possibly in a different room than your computer. This is the internet and unless El Reg tells me otherwise, I will relevent comments on this website along with my personal beliefs. I am not instigating your attacks, rather at this point am simply responding to them and if you disagree, I direct you to my first post titled "Just thought I'd get my say in...".

But, for the record strictly because it seems that I should divulge some personal information, I am not an Iranian sympathizer, nor am I part of the "Military Industrial Complex". I have no vested interest in America's military technology firms, and my only tie to the Middle East beyond my hope for peace one day is a relative in my extended family whom I barely know that works as an archeologist in Israel.

I suppose that these disclosures likely won't convince the most extreme of those reading, but all I can do is state the truth.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My say on: remember li'l abner guys?

"I thought I wasn't having a senior moment, though sadly they do get commoner these days. Way back in the 50s my auntie from Canada used to send me the Sudbury Star comic section, wherein there was a strip called Li'l Abner, featuring life in the hillbilly town of Dogpatch and including a guy who ran the Skunk Works, err... skinning skunks.

A little googling throws up the story, as featured in El Reg in 1999, called What the Hell is a Skunk Work? See http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/10/27/what_the_hell/

Shouldn't Lockheed be suing the estate of the (presumably) late Al Capp, author of the comic strip from which they stole the name? Or should the estate be suing Lockheed?"

As a matter of fact, that already happened (though without it coming to legal action).

In the comic, Big Barnsmell owned the Skonk Works distillery, famed in the comic for its' terrible smell. Around the same time, the term "Skonk Works" became associated with Lockheed when a phone call from the Department of the Navy was unintentionally transferred to an engineer, who jokingly answered with "Skonk Works, inside man Culver". Due to the sensitive nature of the projects that they worked on and the foul smell of the nearby plastic factory, the name stuck.

Years later in the 1960s, the comic strip copyright holders, formally contacted Lockheed about it. They changed the name of their advanced development company to "Skunk Works", which subsequently became a wholly owned registered trademark.

Check it out on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_works .

"Answers on a postcard please."

:)

"All the best,

John Dawson"

Yours truly,

That weird guy who likes to state his opinion

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My final say.

One other thing I'd like to mention before I disappear back into the vast expanse that is the internet, you guys in the UK really should know who the Skunk Works are. Who do you think is designing this?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/f35jointstrikefighter.cfm

At any rate, see you guys in the next article that catches my interest.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like