back to article American boffin touts sugar-fuelled mobile phones

Fuel-cell researchers are working on portable electric power sources running on a wide range of unconventional fuels, but like all academics they disagree. Many have seen the future of fuel cells as a hydrogen-driven one. Hydrogen-fuelled devices offer at least one big advantage, in that they would emit only water vapour as a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Tom
Silver badge

Do you really think this is going to happen this (the 21th) century?

Oh, get me my Mr. Nuclear, to charge up my flux capacitor. Then make the DeLorean go "Back to the Future".

Dream on.

Anonymous Coward

Geothermal energy...

According to the MIT experts report (not your average "eco-hippies") there is more than enough geothermal energy to supply the US needs for the next two millenia using existing technology. See:

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19325883.000-hot-clean-power-under-our-feet-.html

Water + Carbon Dioxide?

Ahem. Can the cell setup actually distinguish between water and CO2 waste?

Isn't there somewhere a market for carbonated water? :P

//Svein

No it isn't

"But hydrogen is dangerous stuff to keep about "

Scaremongers the lot of you, are you in the pocket of the oil companies perhaps?

Hydrogen is no more, less probably, dangerous than petrol and petrol vapour and 22 times less explosive.

Typical Yanks

'According to the MIT experts report (not your average "eco-hippies") there is more than enough geothermal energy to supply the US needs for the next two millenia using existing technology'

They'll take all the heat out of their rocks, let convection/conduction transfer more heat from the rest of world back to them and effectively use everybody else's heat too.

"Nasty" nuclear?

Look at some of the newer designs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

In particular, note that there are no long-lived wastes. We could power the entire country for a year, and get less than a (small) room-full of waste; this would be harmless within 500 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums