back to article PKWare punts free secure archiving tools to consumers

PKWare has made a basic version of its SecureZIP encryption utility available to consumers at no charge. SecureZIP Standard Version 11, available for free download, combines an archiving and encryption utility. The tool allows users to protect data on their hard drive or sent through email against theft and unauthorised access …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WARNING !

This tool is ONLY for the Microsoft Windows faithfull ones !

This is NOT specified in the article !

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WARNING !

This tool is ONLY for the Microsoft Windows faithfull ones !

This is NOT specified in the article !

3. yeah, right.

Archive is nice, but...

Does it include a means of detecting legally embarrassing material and an option to accidentally delete it should the need arise?

I mean, if it's good enough for Microsoft, SCO, and other companies large and small, surely an option like that is good for me?

4. Milo Tsukroff

Give it away before they figure out they don't need it...

... because "classic" zip archiving and security encryption have been available in Windows since XP came out.

Smart move by PKWare, since those people who pick up their free product wouldn't ever pay for it anyway. This way, the PWWare name gains some recognition.

[Full disclosure: After years of using WinZip 10 for free, I recently upgraded one of my PC's to WinZip 11 and actually paid for it. It provides non-Windows-supported compression and encryption.]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like