Medion has officially launched its debut device in the ultra-mobile PC arena: the UMPC RIM 1000, first seen at CES in Las Vegas earlier this year. At the same time the manufacturer announced its latest sat nav GPS device - the GoPal S2310. Medion UMPC Rim 1000 The the UMPC RIM 1000 incorporates a VIA C7-M 770 ULV processor …
.... and they've managed to make it relatively sexy as well. Not exactly cheap though - if you can buy the Sony for 100 quid more the Medion might be a tough sell.
Any thoughts on the split keyboard?
Pricing will be deciding factor
It is interesting to see that they'll be selling these UMPCs in supermarkets to increase awareness, but I think they will be severely limited by that price.
I am definitely in the target market for these devices I own a high spec PC, my wife has a high performance laptop, my phone is an all singing/dancing Window Mobile device etc., and an UMPC is definitely a desirable item for me.
But they are only ever something I want not something I even remotely need and at £800 ($1600-odd) I can't justify buying one. I think until they fall to the £200-£400 range which is comparable to a low priced laptop it will only be an oddity for the rich geek and show-off city-boy.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM