Have you ever heard of a space tsunami? Neither had we, but apparently they are common and are the forces responsible for making the Earth's aurorae dance. Credits: Jan Curtis These magnetic substorms, as they are known, are complex events that take place at altitudes from 100km to 150,000km. ESA says trying to understand …
More pretty Aurora pictures
My mate Phil Hart has some spectacular photos in:
Some of which I had a hand in taking - he hopes to get some Auorora Australis shots eventually.
Clear Dark and Steady Skies
And the actual paper
http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/annales/abstract.html?url_prefix=/EGU&journal=annales&volume=24&issue=7&firstpage=2005. Though no pretty pictures, boo!
And thanks for a content-rich story, Lucy!
- Updated Hidden network packet sniffer in MILLIONS of iPhones, iPads – expert
- Students hack Tesla Model S, make all its doors pop open IN MOTION
- RISE of the Jesus Phone MOUNTAIN: Apple orders 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s
- BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
- PROOF the Apple iPhone 6 rumor mill hype-gasm has reached its logical conclusion