back to article UK PS3 price begins to drop

Retailers WH Smith and Play.com have both knocked £25 off the price of the PS3, offering the console for just under £400. But while the WH Smith offer was an Easter weekend-only deal that ended today, the Play.com offer will run for "the foreseeable future", a representative told Register Hardware and includes a free HDMI cable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

CeX

CeX dropped the PS3 price down to £395 last week. It's to be expected, really. After the fanboys all got their consoles, demand didn't half drop off. Call me crazy, but Sony really screwed this one up. The PS3 is not a bad console (no, really!), but after the contempt Sony showed for European gamers, I'm not about to pay the best part of £500 for a console with no exclusives. And after entering the marketplace last, they've already lost considerable ground to the 360 and Wii. </Captain Obvious> I'll probably get one, but I'll wait a bit first - I expect many people are thinking the same. It'll be Time Crisis that makes me get one. It always is...

Anonymous Coward

Sony considers Europe a 2nd class continent

I imagine it'll take three months for any price drop to reach Europe, or God forbid, the UK.

The net's full of info on wonderful new things at the Playstation Store (including an update for GT that shows worldwide rankings to include Europe!) but none of these are available on the Europe site. There is no information on the website about when this is going to appear, so obviously we (Europeans) are going to be treated as 2nd class PS owners from now on?

Obviously they're too caught up in their war with Microsoft that the customers don't mean a thing to them. Please wake up Sony, you're turning into a joke!

Still over-rated & overpriced

Nah... it's still waaaay to expensive. Remember the PS3 is the equivalent of £260 in native Japan.

I can hold out until the price drops to that level easy, even if it takes a year. Motorstorm is the only killer game anyway...

A number of the local retailers I've been in in the past week have even taken the PS3 off thier prime displat shelves. Guess they're not selling too many either...

And what did fony expect

Ok lets see whats going on here, the PS3 isn't selling, er call me picky but £254 in the US and £425 over here with a cheaper to produce motherboard due to the lack of PS1/2 chips and a broken emulator for backward compatibility might go some way to explaining why.

When chatting to the fella in Game (whilst buying a 360 game) I asked if he had any PS3's in stock and he said he had just got the second batch in, problem being that he still had some of the first batch laying around. Stop it, mustn't laugh.

I think sony has missed the boat by the country mile with this one.

Sony comments so far;

UK is a dear place to live with expensive housing and spiralling costs, they will buy it at what ever price we want (yeah £300 with 3 games and an extra handset)

It is a bargain as it has a blu ray player built in (er...?don't care, I want a console at a reasonable price and there is bound to be a blu ray player out for £30 in the supermarkets before Christmas)

Sorry Kuteragi, you're not retiring at my expense mate.

We pay too much whine whine whine.

I'm fed up of this, 'A PS3 is so much more expensive in the UK then anywhere else' really how do you figure?

$600 in the US, HK$3,780 in Hong Kong and £425 here in the UK.

Pull out your currency converters and whine. Finished? Good! Now take a look at the median incomes for these countries

$670/week in the US, HK$2,300/week in Hong Kong and £450/week for the UK. Now look at the prices compared to these - 90%, 94% and 164%. Oh wow look at that the US and UK are about the same and people in Hong Kong are being charged relatively *more* then both. Bet they're really complaining huh?

Re : We pay too much whine whine whine

I understand where you're coming from but frankly the international market just doesn't work like that anymore.

The bottom line is that the PS3 is simply overpriced in EMEA.

It actually doesn't really matter that much that Sony have been caught trying to supply a lower-spec machine to a (legally trapped) captive EMEA market, at a price which is higher than other parts of the world.

The bottom line is that it's too expensive right now, and that's why there are stacks of them sitting on the shelves in UK retailers. Sony are getting two lessons right now; one in the economies of the world market, and the other a lesson in not taking the piss out of your customer base.

Anonymous Coward

Costs too much

The PS3 is still far too much. You end up paying £500 for a console with a couple of games. You can buy an Xbox 360 premium and choose 2 free games for £280 at a major high street retailer at the moment. Nearly half the cost of a PS3 with a couple of games.

I did nearly buy one but luckily I have borrowed a mates PS3 while he is working away for a couple of weeks and to be honest its no better than my 360 so I don't think I will be dipping my hand into my pockets. Sorry Sony maybe's if it was £300 with some games bundled I would think about it.

In response.

John Munyard: "I understand where you're coming from but frankly the international market just doesn't work like that anymore."

I know that, what I talking about was the apparent complaint that a UK citizen buying a PS3 in the UK is paying more then a US citizen buying one in the US. It simply isn't true they're both working roughly the same amount of time to get one (and In the case of Hong Kong more time)

How the market should work is that a UK citizen should examine the prices worldwide and then decide to buy from what ever country they wants. what you mention as "legally captive" can be boiled down to two items. Firstly IP rights which should mean that you can't sell goods in an area before the manufacturer does, but is sadly taking the tack that you can't sell goods in an area without the IP holder's permission even if they're selling the same goods in that area due to 'diminished respect for the brand'. Secondly Health and Safety, imported goods may not meet EU consumer safety standards.

The former is a con-trick and, like region coding, if it were being done by a government would be up before the WTO before you could say "trade restriction", the latter is a joke as the power supply unit on the PS3s are identical regardless of country.

So yes in that respect we're being stitched-up, still doesn't mean that the PS3 is more expensive here then elsewhere. It also doesn't stop you importing one from anywhere else in the EEA.

Re: Re: We pay too much whine whine whine

"$600 in the US, HK$3,780 in Hong Kong and £425 here in the UK.

Pull out your currency converters and whine. Finished? Good! Now take a look at the median incomes for these countries

$670/week in the US, HK$2,300/week in Hong Kong and £450/week for the UK."

Where did you get your stats? US has far highest GNI per capita and for a PS3 cost £400 in UK but less than £250 in HK, okay you can argue we got taxed, even you put a 20% VAT on top, HK residents are still £100 better off that equavilent to 3 new PS3 titles.

Come on, we are now living in a globalised world and if Sony isn't ripping the European off with a bigger gross margin, why did Sony tried so hard to stop Lik-sang selling into Europe? Lik-sang was trying to help shifting their products.....

We are months behind the launch, with a machine less compatible with PS2 and higher price.... people are right to whine whine whine and whine....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums