Kenneth Williams has topped a Sky Movies Comedy poll for the funniest film one-liner with his immortal "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" from 1964's Carry On Cleo. The survey tapped the opinion of 1,000 "comedians, industry figures and film fans", according to Sky. Film critic Bob McCabe said of the result: "I …
Disappointed not to see
"I've been beating off in the shower for so long I get a hard-on when it rains" from Weird Science....
And surely the Cameron Diaz line is more visual.
The next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested
The one from The Naked Gun doesn't fit. It's a visual gag - it doesn't make sense unless we can see the stuffed beaver. And it's a a two-liner. The people who compiled this list are fools, fools I say.
Now if it were TV one liners:
"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
- Michelle of the resistance, 'Allo 'Allo
This is my all time favourite
I thought it was Sid James that had the 'infamy' line?
No, Sid James played Brutus, and the line is spoken as Julius Caesar (Williams) is fleeing from a load of knife-wielding senators; hence Caesar crying tragically "Infamy! Infamy! They've AAAALLLL got it in for me!". Although I retain a fondness for Amanda Barrie's (Cleo) description of her servant to Brutus: "Do not be afraid, lover! Sosages is a mute. And he cannot talk, either."
'One-liners', eh? Hrrmph. Thereby missing entirely such gems as the deathless interchange between Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr in 'Magic Christian':
Peter: 'Yes, son?'
R: 'Do words corrupt?'
P: 'Hmm. Not sure. Let's see - Mary?'
Mary: 'Yes, darling?'
P: 'Nipple!' (pause)
'Well, there's no *immediate* reaction...'
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Moon landing was real and WE CAN PROVE IT, says Nvidia
- Apple's iPhone 6 first-day sales are MEANINGLESS, mutters analyst