back to article MS pulled over for 'dangerous driving' Xbox ad

UK advertising watchdog the Advertising Standards Authority has rapped Microsoft on the knuckles for fielding a TV ad for the Xbox 360 which "gave the impression that reckless street car racing was exciting and fun". Reckless street car racing is indeed exciting and fun - well, we assume so on the basis of playing Carmageddon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ariel

Rediculious infingment on free speech

You know, I live in the united stated, I agree; we are not perfect...we are somtimes backwards on things. Atleast we sill have free speech. The way I see it, if you don't want your children driving around pretending to be racers like maniacs.... Guess what! Don't buy them a car. It's a young persons perogative. They are going to do regardless what comercial they saw. A young man speeding in a car is as natural as him wanting to reach 3rd base.. So please, get all the nerds that never had a peice of 3rd base of the review panel for this agency, sit em down in an F1 with an instructor after wards walk them to the local brothel for an hour of relaxation, then thier brains might evolve and learn, that a mere comercial has nothignto do with reckless driving. Whats next......? Are they going to start pulling movies out of movie thearters? I feel that panels and people like this are people who never really had any power or authority in thier life, now thier tasting it and use it to bully inovation becasue they can.

2. Robert Grant

Hm

I'm sure this point will be moderated as it's off-topic and smug, but I must try: more than anything, the first comment seems to emphasise America's foundational principle of free spelling.

Or perhaps it won't be moderated - a triumph for free speech!

3. David Neil

Agree with the above sentiment

Shame you can't use the actual English language to express them...

And FYI - If the US has such a great deal of common sense, why is it some idiots are trying to sue MS over Vista needing a fair wodge of hardware to run at a decent rate?

4. Arnold Lieberman

Oh we Brits are so much better st spelling and grammar!

I suppose neither of the above posters have had any exposure to the teen pond-life in this country, or they wouldn't be so conceited about the first post! Vicky Pollard wasn't invented becasue of the habits of American youth...

We'll see if the judge in the M$ case referred to above throws it out before making any more sarcastic remarks about common sense.

5. Charles Daniels

Easy Targets

As an American I am rather comfortable with my grasp of the English language. I have been spared from the surreal fetish for the letter "u" that my co-workers endure. Also I enjoy a more standardized language where there is only ONE correct way to spell the word "program". And perhaps best of all we don't have archaic vowel sounds haunting place names, such as Southwark and Derby, which are two good examples of pronunciation and spelling being happily divorced from one another.

As I am currently planning to apply for British citizenship and have been in Britain for quite some time at this point, I feel I have some grounds for complaint against this nanny state we seem to be trapped in.

Assuming that the commerical was shown in a good slot during a popular show, we have a potential for approximately 8 million viewers.

Out of these 8 million viewers, you get 1 complaint!

What this means is that the British media can be controlled by a minority of 0.000000125% of the audience.

Is the really appropriate to have the touchiest, most overly sensitive 0.000000125% of the population telling the other 99.999999875% what to do?

That is the path to EVERYTHING being banned.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to Blighty

Strangely in this country we do seem reluctant to allow our advertisers to encourage "bad behaviour", we've set rules and oddly, we do try abide by them.

You'll go apoplectic when you hear that we're banning McDonalds and KFC ads from Kids TV.

So much freedom in the US, must be why their murder rate is so high.

7. Joel

3rd Base?

What is this 3rd Base? There are only 2 ends on a cricket pitch... What ho!

Anyway, All Your Base Are Belong To Us....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like