back to article EU spoils Blair's energy saving party

Government plans to derive 20 per cent of the UK's electricity from renewable sources have been rather spoiled by news from the European Union that in fact 20 per cent of all energy should be green, not just the electricity. According to the BBC, this means the UK is only committed to a quarter of the European goal, so far. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Why is the temperature map important?

It's not in the slightest bit relevant. The UK for instance has a vast Wind resource, whilst the Scandinavian countries have cheap sources of wood for biofuels.

You don't say!

So the EU has given us an interactive map to show the sun shines more the closer you get to the equator. You don't say!

I must be in the wrong job, I have to actually work for a living..... Any vacancies in the EU department of stating the bloody obvious?

perpetrated!

Just went to the solar irradiation site and spotted that

"This site was perpetrated by Thomas Huld and Marcel Suri"

Nice.

xjy

This shows what's possible

This shows what enormous untapped renewable energy resources are available just in Europe - even in the less sunny regions. If we add to this similar maps for wind, biomass, geothermal, tidal and wave generation potential it will be obvious that the only obstacles to generating and harnessing vastly more power than we use today are man-made and social obstacles of policy, not ones of availability or even technology.

So once we remove the policy obstacles (Big Oil, Big Coal, Big Nuke and the politicians who dance to their pipe and speak their lines) we might be able to use the energy for making life better.

Unless of course we remain saddled with policy-makers who don't want to make our lives better.

Anonymous Coward

reply to Trevor's "You Don't Say"

Hi, Yes, I actually work at the EU where colleagues produced the solar map, and strangely enough we ARE recruiting! (for the first time in a while)

The online web application form is at http://europa.eu/epso/ , the applications opened on March 28th and will remain open for the next twenty or so days.

the EU agent job link is found on this page http://europa.eu/epso/cast27/index_en.htm

An even bigger source of infinitly renewable energy

Imagine if we could harness all that hot air coming from politicians to produce electricity. They might actually be of use for once!!!

Bronze badge
Anonymous Coward

"Temperature map"?

Peter W: it's not a temperature map...

Trevor Watt: if it were a map of the bloody obvious then it would simply show a smooth transition of colour with latitude. Anyone who actually looked at the map before commenting would see that, although there is a general trend of increased solar radiation to the south, there are many local anomalies.

I hope that helps you with your job application, or puts you off applying for a position where work might actually be involved...

Matthew Marks

Addendum to Frank Bellavance

But first, we have to filter out the aromatic pollutants !!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums