back to article UK airline pilot sacked for sightseeing tour

The pilot of a passenger plane who flew fives miles off course in bad weather to "show his co-pilot the scenery" has been sacked, the Daily Telegraph reports. Captain Roger Old, 61, was flying from Aberdeen to Shetland's Sumburgh Airport with 17 passengers aboard a Dornier 328-100 when he took the unscheduled detour. He ignored …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Fantastic!

"Close proximity with the terrain", eh? That dratted terrain, always getting in the way of a nice flight! I guess this is along the same lines as the apocryphal post-airline crash headline: "Plane too close to ground, crash probe told."

In other news, they say that there are "no old, bold pilots" - but I guess that Mr. Old is the exception that proves the rule. Would I be pushing this too far if I suggested that he'll have to resort to piloting his Oldsmobile from now on?

I can see it now

Who read through that story and had a picture of Leslie Nielsen in the cockpit ? :)

Eek!!

Living under the proper flight-path from Aberdeen to Shetland I can tell you that it is a nice safe route over flat terrain.

If you deviate to any significant degree to the west then you do find some lovely picturesque terrain - mountains!

What was he thinking?!

"Lets see now... I'm flying fairly low as its a short trip and I have decided to fly through cloud to an area that I know to contain lots of lovely mountains... that's funny, why is the warning system telling me to pull up?"

Anonymous Coward

Too low?

Hey!... Who Aluminum plated the top of that mountain?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums