Feeds

back to article Canadian geeks snub Sun's McNealy

For Sun Microsystems Chairman Scott McNealy, it could be the ultimate disgrace. A group of Canadian technophiles has organized a Geeks on Ice hockey tournament and not invited the technology world's most famous puck-hunting executive. Instead, the Geeks on Ice crew have tried to convince RIM CEO Jim Balsillie to attend their gig …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Marketing Geeks

Being a geek was OK when it meant you weren't cool. Geeks have been bought, dressed and sold. Being a geek today is just a way to get girls. At the end of my day when my vision blurs and I check to see if I've forgotten my glasses or have the wrong pair on, and, it turns out my eyes are just fried, then I turn to TV. Recently as I channel surf I've come across a reality show called "Beauty and the Geek". It's about hot chicks chasing after what are said to be Geeks who mostly look like the out of work desperate actors that haunt Vancouver's coffee shops.

As to hockey, hockey died in 1967. It's end was foretold when Pal Hal forced Imlach to trade the Big M.

As to IT 'Geeks' shunning Sun's Scott McNealy. McNealy's game compared to those organizing said hockey tournament is probably comparable to how much better Solaris is compared to Linux... way better. It sounds like the hockey tournament organizers are more interested in a RIM job than the hard hitting rough and tumble of a pick up game on a frozen pond.

Anonymous Coward

Who's the bigger hockey fan?

Who's the bigger hockey fan, McNealy or Balsillie?

Only one article was linked outlining the fact that McNealy plays recreational hockey. Balsillie plays rec hockey too: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1941334,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Author says McNealy's a hockey fan, because he has season tickets to an NHL team. Balsillie has tried to buy an NHL team.

So why is an invite to Balsillie a snub to McNealy? I cannot imagine the tournament organizers would turn down a team from Sun, if McNealy wanted to make the trek to New Brunswick, Canada to play some hockey.

Geeks on Ice Reply

As said organizer I feel compelled to counter certain accusations that were made against our non-profit group.

For some background information, Geeks on Ice is a 16 team hockey tournament which takes place every year in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. Our committee serves to promote networking among technology professionals, promote wellness in the industry and to raise funds to upgrade computer equipment for local non-profit agencies.

In over four years our event has raised over $10,000 and has been used as a medium to profile the growing Atlantic Canadian technology cluster. We have always had open invitations to any organization or individuals that wish to participate. Since Research in Motion recently opened a new location in Halifax, Nova Scotia we decided to launch the "Draft Jim from Rim" campaign as a means to welcome Jim Balsillie to our neighbourhood.

If you would have researched our region, you would know that we have a strong reputation for being a hospitable culture. I rather enjoy my existing position with an international software vendor based from New Brunswick and have zero intentions to lobby for work.

I want to thank you for providing me the information concerning Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy. I have sent Scott a personal invitation to our event, which he has responded to. Seems like Scott has a scheduling conflict for 2007; however, he is interested in exploring the possibility of coming to Geeks on Ice 2008. Thanks again for the information and endorsement!

This topic is closed for new posts.