back to article ESA boffins make Martian maps

If you have been hoping to take a hiking holiday on Mars, but have found your plans spoiled by the dreadful lack of detailed maps, fear not: the European Space Agency has come to your rescue. ESA scientists have developed a series of ordnance survey-style maps of the red planet, using data from the High-Resolution Stereo Camera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

A boon for 3D modellers

Ah yes. I can see these maps finding their way into Terragen, Bryce and other 3D landscape modelling programs pretty soon - I might even have a go at it myself. What would be really interesting would be to set them up in Celestia (a well-known open-source astronomy space-travel program) and then you virtually could go hiking on the surface of Mars. Martian orienteering, anyone? (Erm, does Mars have a magnetic field so we can do that?)

Great Stuff

I dream of the day I can roam around a virtual, hi res, martian landscape. For some reason this has always been of great interest to me.

I will never get there physically, so the next best thing is to go on a digital trek around the canyons and mountains. Imagine standing 100 miles away from Olympus Mons and looking up up up....!!

Bring it on!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums