back to article Microsoft Zune wireless music player

After five years Microsoft has decided to combat Apple's domination of the portable music market head-to-head with Zune - a hard drive-based MP3 player with full colour screen and built-in Wi-Fi music sharing... Zune is only available in the US at the moment - and Microsoft is keeping tight-lipped about when the player will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Long live the Zune :)

I have a Zune at home and found the build quality to be good. The only thing was that the case supplied was not very useful and so I purchased another case which better protects the device while continuing to keep usablity.

The Zune will also read MP4 content as well as WMV & the fact I can dump pretty much any type of music to it is very useful.

Ripping CDs give you the option to save in DRM format or a standard MP3 or WMA. I would give it 9/10.

2. Paul Hanley

Sound Quality

I, believe it or not have both an iPod and a Zune for work and whilst the iPod is an icon of design and all that blah I do have to say that the sound quality out of the headphone socket is far superior to the iPod. Obviously I don't use the in-pack headphones because they are rubbish but I haven't gone mad either, I am just using some £30 Sennheiser CX 300's.

The Zune sounded a lot more musical to me and better paced than the iPod.

At the end of the day what is more important? The sound quality or the UI?

3. Guss Finknottle

Disappointing

Overall i found it disappointing

Good: The mpeg4 playback was good & I didn't have to convert to wmp. It sounds good as the above comments mentioned

Bad: The 'squirting' feature only works on about half of the songs available on the zune marketplace, at least that's what I've found. The zune points system just as the xbox 360 system is a joke. It's too big... I also just heard about MS paying Warner Brothers per Zune sold!? WTF?

I bought it to replace an aging iPod but regret it now. The limitations exceed its usefulness.

This topic is closed for new posts.