back to article Nokia N73 3G smart phone

Nokia is sponsoring X-Factor TV talent show this year, to promote its N series phones in general and the N73 in particular. Nokia's would-be star certainly has the looks to get it in the studio, but can it take it on the chin from the judges or will it be let down by a fickle public who got bored of waiting for it to respond to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

But it's so sloooooow

I was looking forward to the N73 when it was first announced. However, having used one at work for a few weeks now since it was first released, I am sorely disappointed with it's lack of performance.

Try receiving an MMS or browsing a WAP site and the lack of grunt is painfully clear.

Obvious comparisons have to be made with the SE K800i - same screen, same 3.2MP camera, 3G, etc. but the Sony wipes the floor with the Nokia for day-to-day use. Menus are snappier, the camera starts up much quicker, the image browser is faster and the list goes on.

The K800i sits happily on my desk - the N73 has been very close to finding itself in the car park via the nearest window.

Anonymous Coward

When will t-mobile get this darn phone?

?

Carl Zeiss lens?

Does anyone else find it odd that Carl Zeiss, who have been making lenses for both Sony digicams and now the Sony Alpha DSLR, should decide to throw their lot in with Nokia instead of Sony Ericsson?

The way the market is going it won't be long before the majority of people see their mobile phone as their primary holiday snapping tool (as opposed to a digicam), and will want the best quality they can get from their handset. Nokia are clearly switched on to this, having held stands at both the major photography expos this year.

With that in mind I think Sony Ericsson have missed a trick letting Nokia get to Zeiss first; when the market really gets going and starts eating in to the digicam trade, who will Sony Ericsson turn to?

N73 - Cool Phone

I have had a Nokia N73 since August and I should say that it has proved to be one of the better phones I have had. Being a Nokia oly person, I have owned various phones made by the Finnish company but the N73 has proved to be one step forward. The only noticable flaw in the phone is it take around 4 seconds to load the camera to take a picture. I think it is just a bit longer than expected. Apart from that, It has crashed a couple of times while making a call. Dont know whether that is a symbian issue or 3G itself . Apart from that, I would recommend this phone to you for its large screen, good quality audio output (headfones are amazing!!!) and long battery life. Out of 10 I would give this phone a well deserved 8.

Possibly the worst phone. Ever....

I've had this phone for almost two weeks now, having upgraded from a K750i. I have to say I wish I hadn't, but am now stuck with it for 12 months.

It's slow, but I can live with that. What I do find unacceptable is that almost every picture that this phone takes (that isn't in natural daylight), comes out very, very blue (something that every review I've ever read seems to simply brush aside, if they even mention it at all). I've tried adjusting the white balance (doesn't do anything, and I've read that thats a known bug). I've tried swapping it for a different N73 to see if it was just a dodgy handset. Same problems. It also hangs/crashes. A lot. Despite the claims about amazing battery life, I've found that the phone needs recharging every couple of days as opposed to the K750i which was about once a week. All that said and done... It does look nice. But is that really enough.

My last 4 phones have been Sony Ericssons and this is my first Nokia in about 4 years. Quite probably my last too. Oh how I wish I'd gone for the K800i instead (except its sooo ugly and bulky with that huge cheap looking lens cover).

3.2 mega pixels and a fancy lens simply don't matter when it sees the whole world as blue. My old K750i actually took better pictures.

Anonymous Coward

getting the phone on T-Mobile

the n73 will hopefully be available through us (T-Mobile) from the 1st week of December - the phone keeps failing quality tests.

it has been going on for weeks now, but there continue to be a few malfunctions and bugs to be ironed out - sending MMS, browsing online, menu faults, allsorts.

We can't get through to Nokia to tell to pull their finger out and fix these things, but all requests fall on deaf ears.

As I said, we have been advised to expect it to roll out AT THE EARLIEST 1st week of December.

Anonymous Coward

Tedious whiners...

Why is it that in reviews of kit on The Reg, people making comments on the kit keep sounding like appalling consumer parasites sounding like kiddies arguing in a sweet shop. May be you need to consume less and think more.

Deely disappointing

I've had my N73 for about a month now and I have to say I am deeply disappointed with it. The build quality is low: the silver surfacing on the left side of the keypad started peeling away the first day I had the phone. The S60 software is incredibly flaky and very non-intuitive. For instance, when using predictive text, accessing alternative word is slow and clunky and the software inserts a lower case letter if the word is at the beginning of a sentence. The camera is good, but I agree about the wholly unacceptable delay between pressing the shutter button and the picture actually being taken. Overall, I wish I'd gone with Sony-Ericsson - at least I'd have been helping to boost the value of my (worthless) Ericsson stock.

Nokia have lost their edge

I'm predominantly a business user and I've had my Orange Nokia N73 for a week now and will be sending it back tomorrow with real mixed feelings.

Physically, its a good looking phone, lightweight and not too bulky, although it does feel slightly "plasticy". The 2.4" colour screen is stunning and really does make the phone feel something special. Its large, bright and colourful. Great for viewing pictures or the calendar.

But what really lets the N73 down is the software. The software is very slow and doesn't follow Nokia's traditional conventions which have made them such a success in the past. For example, pressing "down" on the joystick will not bring up contacts (or at least on the Orange version it doesn't). In fact, accessing contacts is my major gripe. I have around 340 contacts in my phone. The contacts app takes 2-3 seconds to load each time I make a call! Considering phoning people is most peoples primary use of a phone, I can't believe more effort hasn't been put in to streamlining this one feature. Had it been instant, I could put up with all of its other faults. Why not just load the contacts permanently in to memory for instand access?

Other gripes include: No ability to "use detail" such as telephone numbers or email addresses from text messages. Opening text messages is slow and the vibrate function doesn't seem to work (a common complaint on message boards).

Overall this phone has great potential, but is let down by a crap firmware (v2.0628.0.0.3). Hopefully Nokia will fix this with a future firmware update. Until then, I'll be using a competitors product.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums