Also in this week's column: Why does natural selection take so long to get results? Are there people with no sense of smell? Why isn't pubic hair the same colour as hair on your head? Asked by Hannah Swain of The Hague, The Netherlands Just as with skin, the colour of hair is determined by the amount of melanin in the outer …
So there's more than one reason for having a black box?
Why the loss of melanin in "old age"?
"The absence of melanin later in life causes white hair. White hair may appear on some parts of the body before others because there is variation in this too."
This begs a question (for one who has had a naturally-progressing white hair since 12yo): Why does the absence of melanin start/increase with age?
If hair is mostly protein...
...then does it have much/any nutritive value? And I'm not talking about that stray pube. Presumably it doesn't, since cats can't digest theirs, but this begs the question why not?
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking 'Crescent Bay' prototype
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? Oh God the RUBBER on my SHAFT has gone wrong and is STICKING to things