Also in this week's column: Do lie detector tests really work? Is long life related to where you live? What cultures don't share Western economic values? What is a Chinese restaurant headache? This is the unfortunate name for one of the symptoms of the allergic reaction to monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG can induce a …
Minnesota, not New York
The Mayo Clinic is in Rochester, Minnesota, not New York.
Not an allergic reaction
The reaction to MSG is not an allergic reaction. This is important as an allergic reaction can lead to anaphylactic shock and death. MSG headache is unpleasant but not life threatening.
Quick solution to brain freeze
I learned a quick treatment for brain freeze from my kids. Simply apply pressure with your tongue or finger to the gums just above and behind your front teeth. I don't know why it works, but it does. The pain goes away almost immediately.
- Product Round-up Smartwatch face off: Pebble, MetaWatch and new hi-tech timepieces
- Geek's Guide to Britain The bunker at the end of the world - in Essex
- FLABBER-JASTED: It's 'jif', NOT '.gif', says man who should know
- If you've bought DRM'd film files from Acetrax, here's the bad news
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One, the console that can read your heartbeat